Thursday, October 29, 2009

Carving Pumpkins

Halloween isn't a Danish holidy, but it is becoming more and more popular each year. There are some who get dressed up and go trick-or-treating, but not a huge amount. They have a similar holiday in February called Fastelaven (You may remember I wrote about it back in February) that is a much bigger celebration.

You do see many jack-o-lanterns and pumpkins around town though and Broderick was very excited to make one. We have never done this since Broderick has been born and sadly, I learned this year that Brad had never made a jack-o-lantern!!!! I'm going to have to talk to his mom about this .... Jane?
The plan was to make two faces ... a happy face on one side and a scary face on the other.
We tried to convince Broderick to reach in and scoop out the insides, but he would only use a spoon. The kid does not like to get his hands dirty! While scooping, he would announce to no one in particular ... "I'm doing a REAL good job .... I am .... I'm doing REALLY good." Way to encourage yourself buddy!
Even mommy got involved to make sure we had everything scraped out!
All done! Here's Broderick with the happy face.
Here's the scary face!
We had a ton of seeds in this pumpkin, so I roasted the pumpkin seeds. Mmmmm .... they turned out so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment