Thursday, October 29, 2009

My Mother's Group

Here in Denmark, when you have a baby, you get almost a year off of work - paid! I know, that would be nice, right. The sundhedsplyerske (home nurse) that you work with puts you in a group with other ladies in your area that have had children about the same time. My sundhedsplyerske was nice enough to put me in a group .... with ladies who all speak great English. So although a lot of Danish is spoken (which is good for me), I can still communicate with everyone and know whats going on. We meet every 3 weeks and take turns hosting it.
Here are the moms I meet up with: Jane, Nina, Jeanette, and Tina. They are all so nice and its so good to spend some time with other ladies.
Anika, Jeppe and Julia playing together.
Little Levi (Nina's daughter)
Jeanette's girl, Sofie takes amazing naps and is usually sleeping - outside of course- eveytime we meet, so we made her wake up Sofie this time so we could actually see her.


I can tell I'm still not very Danish. When we met last week, it was a bit misty out and I wasn't exactly sure where I was going - so of course, I drove. When I pulled up to the address, I didn't see any other cars and I was wondering if I had the address wrong.

Then I saw it ..... 4 barnevogns lined up outside with their kids in them. =)

They had all walked in the misty rain and their kids were sleeping outside in that. Yeah, I felt like a spoiled American wimp.

Hosting isn't difficult either because you just serve a traditional Danish lunch.
This would include:
*Rundstykker (hard rolls)
*Cold cuts
*Cheeses
*Sliced red peppers and cucumbers
*Chocolate wafers (you put on the bread) or nutella
*Coffee and tea

Sometimes there is some sort of pastry too, maybe some fruit and you may have other slight variations, but essentially that is what you eat. It makes it so simple and its quite good.

Of course when I hosted I tried to bring some American flavor to it and served an egg casserole.

Next time I host is right around Thanksgiving, so I have promised them some pumpkin pie. They are all excited to try that.

No comments:

Post a Comment