Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Goodbye Grandma

Well, all things must come to an end and today my mom had to go home. I think my dad probably would kill me if I tried to keep her any longer. Although I hear he's had some good meals cooked for him while she's been gone, so thanks for those who have taken care of him.

Broderick will definitely miss her. He had a lot of fun with "mama". And usually preferred her to me. That's ok, I was happy to give her as much time as possible because now its me and him. I'm sure he'll get sick of me.
Here they are in the kitchen, with her bags packed. He wasn't happy about her leaving, but was pretty excited about going to look at airplanes. Unfortunately he was kind of a crab her last morning here as he woke up at 6:30 this morning. Ugghh. Another reason I'll miss my mom, she wakes up early so she could take of him and I could sleep a little more.
Saying goodbye at the airport. We'll miss you so much "mama". Thanks for everything you helped us with while you were here.

I of course was crying when I dropped her off, but came home and Broderick and I took a nap together. He definitely needed one. After dinner tonight (which was quite a process trying to find the right ingredients for that - you should see me at the grocery store with my English-danish dictionary trying to figure things out. ), anyways we went to Joergen and Kirstine Bundgaard's house. Their daughter Maria was there from Spain also. He works with Brad and she is Brad's danish teacher. She has done a good job. Brad's danish is doing great. Of course I don't speak any so I may not be the best judge. They gave Broderick a soccer ball (of course he has to play that over here) and Maria had gotten him a Zoo Duplo set since he had recently had a birthday. They were so hospitable and friendly. It was a very nice evening and Broderick really enjoyed them. Of course I was worried he was going to destroy their house, especially since he had possession of a soccer ball. It's so nice to actually meet people and make some personal connections. Helps it feel more like home.

Tomorrow morning I'm meeting up with Tina Bach. She and her family had lived in Ft Madison (a town just south of Burlington) for a year. They were transferred back to Denmark and live in a town just 15 minutes away. Terrean Schmidgall had told me about her, and Brad had actually done some work with her husband. So its a great contact and she has offered to help in many ways. Tomorrow we're going to something called "Legestue", which is a play group. I think its similar to kindermusik or babygarten. I guess I'll see. I'm excited to have Broderick play with some other little kids and excited to meet some other mothers.

I'm excited for things like this especially now that I'm here alone. I think its getting involved with things like this that will help us adjust. Thanks again mom for coming with me. I can't imagine having to make that initial trip alone.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Megan!

    I'll say an extra prayer for you this week - I'm sure that it's hard to have your mom gone! Glad you can get out and make friends - that's key to keeping your sanity:)

    -Becky

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi guys! I love your blog! I feel more connected to your daily life than when we were a mere 20 minutes away from each other!

    ReplyDelete