Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Getting ready for Thanksgiving

Hello. Spending the week studying the language and getting ready for Thanksgiving or attempting to. This past weekend we went to our friends Heine and Tina's for supper and to spend the evening. They served a very traditional meal of flaeskesteg (a special pork roast with a crusty top), potatoes (boiled and a sweet), and roedkaal (red cabbage). It was awesome. Definitely recipes I'll have to get and bring home with me, although you can't get this cut of meat in the states unless you butcher the pig. For dessert they served ris a la mande (kind of like rice pudding). And then later, they made us aebleskiver (a traditional christmas pastry). We ate so much. With the aebleskiver they made a drink called gloegg - its a heated red wine with spices in it. Really good, kindof like a warm cider.

Here's the boys with chocolate eggs, in the middle is a prize. These had little cars in them.

Brad and Heine playing with the boys.

Heine and Tina making the aebleskiver and heating the gloegg.

On Sunday after church, we took Broderick to a children's theater in our town put on by locals. Here's mommy and Broderick waiting for the show. The other picture, the lady in the window is the one who found us our babysitters and the lady in the plaid dress in Brad's language teacher.
Of course Broderick had a melt down (lack of nap) about 45 minutes into it, so we didn't even last until intermission, but it was fun while it lasted.

I'm holding something called hokkaido. I don't know what it is or if there is a translation I can't find it, but its the only thing I could find that resembled a squash or pumpkin in the store. So, this is what I'm going to try to make pumpkin pie with. When I picked Broderick up from dagpleje, I asked his teacher if it resembled a pumpkin in taste. She said she thought so. Well, I guess we won't know until we try, right? This should be interesting. You should have seen me trying to find the spices that I needed. I was trying to translate the names and couldn't find half of them, so I made some guesses. I think I did ok, I'll let you know in a few days how it all turns out. The butcher didn't have my turkey in yet, so I hope he gets it by thursday. We're having our neighbors over to celebrate. They're excited to experience an American Thanksgiving meal. I'm excited to have some people to celebrate with but nervous about everything coming together and turning out. Wish me luck!!!!

2 comments:

  1. You have a positively beautiful pregnant glow about you Megan...
    Hugs from Mumsie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan-Jack's grandma used to make "pumpkin" pie with squash. I was so upset when I found this out, because who wants to eat squash pie!? I think she did it because it is much easier to work with than pumpkin, which can be stringy. You are brave to have guests, while trying to cook American food in Denmark!! Will be anxious to see how it goes. God bless~ Cathy Larson

    ReplyDelete